About Hermetic Seal Technology, Inc.
Hermetic Seal Technology, Inc. (HST) is a manufacturer of custom glass-to-metal seals, lithium battery seals, and hermetic feedthroughs. Hermetic Seal Technology, Inc (HST) was founded in 1994 by two engineers, Dave Tasset and John Wendeln, who each had nearly a decade of glass to metal sealing experience at the time.
HST quickly developed its own proprietary sealing glass to serve the needs of the lithium thionyl chloride, lithium sulfur dioxide, and lithium magnesium dioxide battery seal market. Growing on this success, HST then developed its “clean seal” technology allowing oxide free sealing of titanium and other difficult to seal metals. This technology allowed HST to become a leader in the implantable medical battery seal market with its superior non-oxide titanium implantable battery seals and titanium power feedthroughs. This technology and our quality approach to glass-to-metal sealing allowed HST to also serve the aerospace, industrial, military, and sensor market.
Hermetic Seal Technology routinely works with its customers assisting with part design and development to achieve the best most robust part for the particular hermetic application. HST’s goal is to provide the market with the best value in custom compression glass-to-metal seals by offering high quality, high technology, and the best value driven prices. When your technology depends on precision glass-to-metal seals, depend on Hermetic Seal Technology.
Hermetic Seal Technology’s proprietary “clean-seal” technology allows oxide free sealing of titanium, molybdenum, platinum-iridium, stainless steel and other difficult to seal materials. The lack of oxidation means there is no requirement for post hermetic sealing oxide removal either chemically or mechanically. This all gives many advantages:
- A reliable, robust, and repeatable seal with a high level of hermeticity and increased performance and operating pressures
- No etching of glass and no chemical residue on glass that could affect the seal in the future
- No etching of metal which can reduce tolerances and eliminate potential pitting of the material.
- No stress on the glass seal from mechanical post-machining which could lead to glass cracking or seal failure
100% Leak Testing:
- HST is the only glass to metal seal company that 100% leak tests all seals to ensure that every part produced is truly hermetic. Each and every glass-to-metal seal we manufacture is guaranteed to be hermetic to better than 1 x 10-8 cc/sec helium. When quality is critical, HST’s 100% leak checking helps its customers achieve success.
Products & Services
- Hermetic Seal Technology: Enhancing Lithium Niobate on Insulator (LNOI) Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs) - As detailed in AZoM's article "Lithium Niobate on Insulator (LNOI) – A Promising Material for Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs)," the emergence of lithium niobate on insulator (LNOI) has sparked considerable interest in the realm of photonic integrated circuits (PICs). Offering a suite of unique optical properties, including high electro-optic coefficients, intrinsic optical nonlinearities, and broad… READ MORE
- Hermetic Seal Technology: Precision Hermetic Sealing – The Key to MEMS Success - As reported by AZoM in their article "Using Glass to Seal MEMS Devices," micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) have revolutionized various industries by consolidating miniaturized mechanical and electrical components onto a single substrate. Essential in fields like medicine, automotive, industry, and defense, MEMS devices demand a hermetic environment to safeguard their delicate internal components. Hermetic sealing, vital… READ MORE
- Hermetic Seal Technology: Empowering Microscale Devices through Exploration of High-Power Microbattery Design - In a groundbreaking development highlighted in the article "High-Power Microbattery Design Provides Both Higher Voltage and Power" on AZoM, researchers at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign have unveiled a high-voltage microbattery with unprecedented energy and power density. Always at the forefront of advancements, the exploration delves into the intricacies of this cutting-edge microbattery design poised… READ MORE
- Customizing Battery Lids for Extreme Downhole Conditions - Summary: Hermetic Seal Technology, Inc. (HST) collaborated with a European downhole oil and gas service company to design and manufacture custom lithium thionylchloride batteries equipped with robust, hermetic power feed-through battery lids. These batteries had to withstand extreme downhole conditions such as high temperatures and pressures, corrosion, and intense shock and vibration. Leveraging its proprietary… READ MORE
- A Lifesaving Partnership in Implantable Medical Batteries - Summary: Hermetic Seal Technology, Inc. (HST) partnered with a medical battery manufacturer to design and produce high-reliability titanium glass-to-metal seals for implantable medical batteries. Facing a critical need for fail-proof, long-lasting battery seals, the customer leveraged HST's unique "clean seal" technology to eliminate oxide formation and post-production cleaning. By utilizing specialized furnaces and exact control… READ MORE